Monday, February 20, 2012

My last days with meat | Parsnip and apple soup with bacon

So, this is it. My final days of eating meat before the Days without meat-challenge (DWM) starts. From the 22nd of fFbruary on I won't eat meat, nor fish, for 46 days. At least; that's the challenge.

For more information click here for a previous post or here for the {dutch} website with all the information and stuff...

So right now, I'm saying goodbye to bacon; goodbye lovely chicken; goodbye delicious salmon and goodbye steak sandwiches. I'm cleaning out my fridge while saluting all of these loved ones who didn't make it to the end.

But hey, let's take a look at the brighter side; Hello falafel! Good evening vegieburger! Welcome home marinated tofu! Nice to meat you, chickpea's!

For the ones that will ask thé question: No, I don't really talk to food! Ok, .. just sometimes maybe... Once in a while... quite often, actually. So what?

While cleaning out the fridge I found these little pieces of bacon. They fit in just perfect with this parsnip velouté.





Parsnip and apple soup with bacon
Adapted from Simply You magazine february 2012
yields: about 2 l of soup or about 5 big bowls of soup.


Fried bacon, apple and parsnip love
700 g parsnip, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tart apples, peeled and diced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1,5 l chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you're already going veggie)
1 TBSP cream
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp cumin & cinnamon
salt & pepper
optional: 100 g diced bacon
optional: 1/2 diced and peeled apple

one: Heat the olive oil in a casserole and let the onion and garlic melt without browning.
two:  Add in parsnips, apples, potatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes or until all vegetables and fruit is softened.
three: Using an immersion blender blend the soup into a smooth purée.
four: Stir in the cream, adding a little extra if required. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
five: Fry the diced bacon without additional fat in a pan on high heat. During the last minute or so; add the halve diced apple.
six: Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the fried bacon and apple.

Enjoy!

ps. Last weekend I went on a trip to Paris with dear mr. boyfriend. More about that soon.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hi Eva!

I stumbled across your site via Not Without Salt and I'm happy I did! I'm an American who's been living in Brussels for the last few years, but I love love Ghent! also, i love parsnip soup and this looks fantastic. I just made a rather large batch of parsnip and vanilla bean soup, but this might have to be my 'lunch' soup for next week!

happy blogging!

Emily at http://thepetitfour.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner