Thursday, February 16, 2012

1 recipe: 2 styles | Chocolate beet (cup)cake

Oh my beloved beets,

How I love the way you look at me -from the corner of the table; 
the way you dance around in my mouth; 
the way you touch my hands and make them be seen. 
I admire your dark purple color and your uniqueness.
You change not only the color of my hands, my clothes and my urine {fo real} but also the color of any food that crosses your road. 
And for that; I love you. 
You complete my salads, my burgers and more recently - 'my' chocolate cake.
You understand me.


Once again I used one recipe to bake 2 seperate dishes. One {special} version contains a pie with cinnamon-honey frosting; the {more simple} other version are cupcakes with vanilla whipped cream.




Beetroot chocolate (cup)cake
Wonderful source: Joy the baker! 
yields: 2 8-inch baking pans/ 1 8-inch baking pan and 6 cupcakes/ 12-16 cupcakes


Beetroot chocolate cake with cinnamon honey frosting

2 beets; (pre)cooked and pureed/ grated
200 g dark brown sugar
160 g unsalted butter
150 g granulated sugar
2 eggs (L)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250 g all purpose flour
80 g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
300 ml buttermilk {dutch: karnemelk}

one: preheat oven to 200°. Grease muffinpan/ baking pan.
two: use a fork to whisk together the different kinds of sugar and butter. Hmmmm... Butter and sugar! This makes me happy.
three: beat in eggs, one at a time. Only go on when both the eggs are fully incorporated. Double check.
four: add the beets and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
five: in another {medium} bowl  whisk together flour, cocoapowder, baking powder and salt.
six: add halve of the dry ingredients {cf. five}to the butter mix.
seven: slowly add the buttermilk. whisk well.
eight: once the buttermilk is incorporated in the whole add the other halve of the dry ingredients and combine well. Try not to overmix the batter.
nine: fill the cupcake molds about 2/3 OR divide the batter unto 2 prepare pans OR divide the batter between the cupcake molds and a baking pan.
ten: bake for about 20-35 minutes or until done. This depends on the baking pan/molds, your oven, ...
eleven: allow the (cup)cakes to cool completely before. Meanwhile; prepare the frosting, whipped cream, ...

cinnamon ginger frosting
slightly adapted from duodishes

120 g cream cheese, softened
2 TBSP butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBSP honey
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp finely grated (cooked) beetroot; or as much as you want your frosting to be pink.


one: beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, honey, cinnamon, beetroot and salt until smooth. 
two: frost the cupcakes once they’ve cooled.

whipped cream
200 ml cream
vanilla
2 TBSP g icing sugar


one: using an electric mixer, beat the cream with the sugar until firm. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the cupcakes
two: share with a friend.

Beetroot chocolate cupcakes with whipped cream

music to pair with: Angus and Julia Stone - you're the one that I want

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate beetroot but you could easily fool me by giving me this cupcake - looks so chocolatey and wonderful!
Now I can be healthy and enjoy myself - thanks :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Surprise Choc Cookies + Choc Truffle Chunk Muffins

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Indeed, when you eat an entire cake you have your amount of vegetables in for the day... Win-winsituation. And you totally don't taste the beets, they just give it an incredible moist texture...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner