Sunday, February 12, 2012

My favorite's favorite: guest post | Mashed chickpeas with dill and garlic


{Goodmorning, y'all!
From NOW on every few weeks I will ask some of my favorite friends/ bloggers/ artists/... to post their very favorite recipe. 
So it's a favorite's favorite sorta thing. 
Incredible idea right?! 
Can someone buy me new socks, please? 
...
Cause mine just blew off!
I'm happy to start this series of guest posts off with the delicious food from the vegetarian table of The Bitchetarian
If you didn't fall in love with her just yet... 
Beware!
You will! 
Fo sure!}

::drum roll please::

It's a guest post!  My first one, to be specific. I'm wayyyy excited to be posting here on Not Your Mama's Dinner, as Eva is a kindred spirit - snarky, hungry, and easily distracted. Plus her audience is mostly Dutch-speaking, which means I won't be able to understand disapproving comments. Instead I will assume they are all glowing and continually congratulate myself on a job well-done.



  


"Hungry" really encapsulates my entire week. You know those times where you feel like you could eat forever and never be full? Yesterday I had some microwaveable frozen atrocity for lunch. It sucked. So, I proceeded to grant myself permission to have second lunch, which was pizza. Much better. Then I ate cereal for a snack. Then I had two helpings of pasta for dinner. With 4 pieces of bread. And it could have continued on like that, but thank the baby Jesus I got too sleepy. 

Basically, this week I have been a crabby, carb-ey monster. It will take at least 3 more bagels before this passes, but it will eventually. And all the people around me will breathe little sighs of relief. In the meantime, I am going to make a sandwich and jam it full of this:
Mashed Chickpeas with Dill and Garlic
You'll need : 
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tsp dried dill
  • 1 tsp dried garlic flakes
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp light Hellman's mayonnaise
And if you want to be less gluttonous about this whole thing, you could serve the filling as little canapes, which I did in the pictures. Don't worry, I then smashed it all back together on some bread and jammed it in my face. For my canapes I used:
  • 4 Wasa Crisp 'n Light crackers, cut into 1 inch squares
  • finely diced tomates and dried dill for garnish

This shit is pretty easy. Smash it together, wait impatiently, put it on something (like a spoon, if you're having one of those days), and you're in business.  
Mash chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until they are coarsely smushed - you'll want most of it smashed, but leave some chunks for texture.  You may want to pull out the little skins that will sometimes come off as you mash it, but they're edible if you're too lazy or don't care. 
Then mix in your mayonnaise and yogurt. Add your dill, garlic flakes, smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt. Put into a container with a cover and let it sit, refrigerated, for at least an hour. Overnight is better, but I know that sometimes that just ain't happening. 
Scoop the mixture onto your desired vessels and enjoy!  Makes about 4 sandwiches or 25 canapes. 



A big thank you to the only other person who says "awesome" as much as I do - Ms. Eva. Thanks for having me!
music to pair this yummie wonderful mashed pile with: Vampire weekend - diplomat's son

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner