Friday, April 5, 2013

Potato, pea and mint salad with feta



Mr Boyfriend and me are on a salad kick.
Not because we gained a huge amount of weight since we started to hang out on a more regular base at the stove.
{wich we did}
Not because the weather is inviting us to get away from the oven and into the greens 
{wich it doesn't}
And definitely not because I don't have any time to spare on frying donuts or baking pie
{wich I do}


No, it's more of a craving that we're currently sharing.
A craving that doesn't feel like any other craving I've had before
A craving that's getting away from anything rational
{donuts, taco's, burgers are the usual suspects}
We're sharing a craving for greens, light lunches and the Oh!I'mfeelinghealthy...





This salad is the perfect 'in between' salad.
You feel all healthy while eating it, yet the cheese and baked potatoes remind you that you're not eating brussel sprouts kind of healthy. 
{I'm not a big fan of the sprouts}


Are you still with me?
  Let’s just hush up and eat our pretty salad.



Potato, pea and mint salad with feta
salad for one 
inspired by: sarie.com

I added mind and feta, because the interplay with the peas makes this crazy, addictive salad burst with flavor. The baked onion I added for the obvious reason: it's baked onion!
As with any salad you can adjust the ingredients to your own taste; there is no right or wrong.
I felt like this flavor-packed salad didn't need dressing anymore, because of what is already going on in there. If you disagree and feel like every salad should need a dressing feel free to click on the link above for a suiting dressing.

four new potatoes, halved {skin on}
one T olive oil
one medium onion, sliced
200 g frozen peas
one handful of fresh mint
two large handfuls of assorted salad leaves
100 g feta
one thin slice of ham
Salt and pepper

one: put the potatoes in a pot, cover with lots of water and add salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until just tender, about ten minutes.
two: in a large pan, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
three: meanwhile, toss the cold ingredients {mint, salad, feta, ham} gently together.
four: add the potatoes to the onion, stir until they start to brown. Add the peas into the same pan and stir until they're completely thawed and starting to get tender. This takes about four minutes.
five: add the baked peas, onion and potatoes to the salad and serve immediately


Enjoy with a slice of fresh bread and Imany - Pray for help








3 comments:

Eileen said...

This salad sounds so perfect for spring. I love the abundant mint leaves!

Yvonne @ bitter baker said...

This looks divine! I've never tried to put mint in a salad, but I feel like I gotta try it!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Thanks Eileen and Yvonne!
I love to add fresh herbs {mint, cilantro, basil, ...} to any salad; hope you give it a try and love it as much as I do :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner