Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Vegetarian apple-sage chickpea burgers with roast potatoes.




Yesterday, Julie and Elke from supo {Dutch online magazine, not the pill in the butt, folks} came to dinner. 
These girls are so much fun!



They asked questions.
I said stuff like: 
'I wish I could eat a single pie every day of the week.'
and 
'Every dish should contain butter...'
Totally legit answers.


Because they're doing a feature about student cooking, I made them totally student-survival food.
 My take on burgers and fries:

Vegetarian apple-sage chickpea burgers with 
roast potatoes.
yields 6 burgers
recipe adapted from: edible perspectives

500 g chickpeas
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium apple, grated + 1 apple, sliced {garnish}
1 T fresh ginger, grated
3 T sage, finely chopped
100 g flour
2T ground oats
1t garlic, minced
1t salt, pinch of black pepper
1-2T oil for cooking
6 burger buns/ sandwiches
1 cucumber
mixed salad
sprouts


one: rinse and drain the chickpeas. Mix them, together with the onion and garlic with your blender or foodprocessor until everything is combined. {Avoid over processing; you do want to have some texture in there}
two: squeeze the grated apple between a few paper towels or a kitchen towel to absorb a bit of the moisture.
three: stir in the apple, ginger and sage.
four: add the flour spoon by spoon; don't worry if the mixture is still a bit sticky.
five: add ground oats and salt and black pepper to taste
six: let it rest in the refrigerator while you pour yourself a glass of wine, at least 30 minutes.
seven: form patties and cook on each side over medium heat for about 4 minutes until golden.

I roasted the potatoes by simply cutting them in four, adding 2 T olive oil, 1 T of lemon juice and seasalt to taste; I layed them out on a baking tray and roasted them for 40 minutes on 230°C. Divine!




Pictures by Julie Wijckmans
If you want to read the article they wrote click here {Dutch}.

7 comments:

Eileen said...

These sound amazing! I love the apple and ginger combination--I would never have thought to add these to veggie burgers. Thanks for the great idea!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Thanks, Eileen! They were better than any store-bought burger I've tried... The apple and ginger addition makes them perfect spring-like food.

Megan said...

I just really want to try these burgers, and seriously that is the prettiest most lady-like lunch ever! And those flowers are just so pretty! I wish I could come over for lunch.

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Awww, thank you Megan! You make me blush, girl! Just let me know when you visit Belgium ;)... You're welcome anytime!

Caia said...

We just made these delicious burgers, they were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Thanks for making my day, Caia! I'm so glad you liked them. :)

Unknown said...

I love veggie burgers, always with chickpeas, please! Sometimes some nuts...
But, apple, oats and ginger? That sounds perfect!! I have to try!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner